Targets for 2018-2022
Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated is dedicated to implementing programs of service that enhance the social, economic, and educational well-being of the local, national and international communities. Programs remain the heart of AKA. The size and scope of services provided to our communities have grown and significantly improve the quality of life for all who reside within our service areas.
The program theme for 2018-2022 is Exemplifying Excellence Through Sustainable Service. The International Program includes five program targets that are designed to advance the mission of Alpha Kappa Alpha with excellence and underscore our commitment to sustainable service.
The five program targets for 2018-2022 are:
1.HBCU for Life: A Call to Action —Alpha Kappa Alpha will continue its focus on education with an emphasis on Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
Chapters will promote and market Historically Black Colleges and Universities and encourage students to attend HBCUs as a sustainability measure. Activities will include researching and publishing information regarding prominent Alpha Kappa Alpha women and other notable individuals who attended HBCUs.
2. Women’s Healthcare and Wellness —Alpha Kappa Alpha will continue to raise community awareness of critical health issues impacting African American women. The primary focuses will be breast cancer awareness and prevention, heart health, nutrition and wellness, and care for the caregivers.
Breast Cancer Awareness and Prevention will focus specifically on early detection through mammograms to improve the survival rate of women diagnosed with breast cancer.
Heart Health remains a focus as the sorority enhances its commitment to healthy hearts through fitness activities and walking.
Nutrition and Wellness will emphasize healthy lifestyles including prenatal, childhood, adult, and senior nutrition programs.
Care for the Caregivers places emphasis on taking care of those who take care of others.
3. Building Your Economic Legacy—Alpha Kappa Alpha will emphasize financial planning, asset accumulation, and wealth building including savings and investment, managing debt, and improving credit.
Personal Financial Planning and Asset Accumulation.
Credit Repair and Monitoring
Entrepreneurship and The Black Dollar 365.
Operation AKA Assist
4. The Arts!—Alpha Kappa Alpha will expose students to arts enrichment and culture by focusing on visual and performing arts and by showcasing talent through the exploration of writers, entertainers and various other artists.
Salute to the Harlem Renaissance
The Salute to the Black Arts Movement
5. Global Impact—Alpha Kappa Alpha will engage in programming designed to enhance the international footprint of the sorority.
National Global Impact Day. Chapters will engage in a community service project that has an international impact and will partner with organizations that make a difference worldwide.
Global Assistance Activities. Chapters will engage in global partnerships that provide assistance to the underserved in international areas populated with people of color. These partnerships include the following:
- Soles 4 Souls. Chapters will collect gently-worn shoes and transport the shoes to specified locations. Soles 4 Souls, a non-profit organization, will process and ship the shoes to destinations around the world that are populated with people of color.
- Lions Club International. Chapters will participate in an eyeglass initiative designed to prevent blindness, help restore eyesight, and improve eye health and eye care for millions of people around the world by donating used eyeglasses in partnership with local Lions Clubs.
- Pillowcase Project. Chapters will continue to use pillowcases to make dresses for little girls and will expand the sorority’s efforts to include shirts for little boys. The pillowcase dresses and shirts will be sent to Haiti to provide clothing for children in need.
Refugees in America Assistance Program (RAAP).